Home Tutorials About Me Video's Cards for Sale

Tuesday 16 November 2010

Advent Calendar for Alex

It's my daughters birthday in December, and last year I made her an advent box (video instructions for that on my sidebar). She loved it, so this year I decided to make her another one - it turned into a bit of a project. I will list the steps I took at the end of the post.
As she is a single girl having fun living in London, I thought handbags would be perfect............

the label at the top of the board
each little bag is decorated in a different way


I filled them with lip gloss, earrings, eyeshadows, chocolate.....it was fun finding stuff small enough to fit in the bag


each bag closes with a velcro dot


Materials used:
16" x 18" blank canvas
aqua and white acrylic paint
martha stewart glitter
All papers by SEI
velcro dots
Forever Young Cricut cartridge
Designer Calendar Cricut cartridge
Lacy Labels Cricut cartridge
Fabulous Finds Cricut cartridge
1. With a dry brush I brushed the canvas in random stripes in aqua paint. I added white to the aqua to dilute the colour, and brushed some of that on. I finished by brushing white paint and sprinkling that with glitter whilst the paint was wet.
2 I cut 25 bags from the forever young cartridge at 3", and decorated them individually - I ran some of them through the cuttlebug to emboss before glueing them. I attached a velcro dot to close the flap, and two more dots on the back to hold the bag onto the board
3. I cut 25 assorted labels at 1 1/2" from Fabulous Finds. The numbers 1 - 25 were cut from designer calendar at 1", and glued to the labels using a xyron machine. I threaded the labels with red twine, and knotted around the handles. To keep the labels in place I used a small foam pad on each one (they were flopping around all over the place without this)
4. The sentiment was done on the computer, then, using the centre point feature on the expression, I cut lacy label 3. I folded a strip of card and attached it to the back of the label, then used drawing pins (push pins) to hold it in place. The ribbon was attached in the same way, to the frame of the canvas.
It should be arriving in London any day now......I hope it's survived the journey!
Regular readers of the blog may recall that I have had a few squirrel incidents in the past......remember the one that drowned in the water fountain in our garden at home? Well, it seems that USA squirrels are no better behaved that their British counterparts. I was driving the other day, and the car started juddering and shaking, so of course, I headed straight back home. When we had a look at the engine it was COVERED with bits of nuts, acorns and shells. Now we have a young oak tree close by, but how on earth did the acorns get under the bonnet (hood)? The car was towed to the garage, where they took one look at the debris and announced, in tones of doom 'you have squirrels'
Apparently the little pests, when it gets a bit cold, sneak under the car and climb up to a warm spot on the engine, and sit there munching on their dinner. Then for dessert, they munch their way through the electrical wires in the car. So we are a few hundred dollars poorer, the car is now safely locked up in the garage, and I have collected a whole bucket of little acorns - lucky for them I don't have a catapult!
See you tomorrow

61 comments:

  1. That is the cutest advent calendar. I LOVE it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! This is amazing! I love what you made, so much work went into this and its beautiful! How fun :) Loving the colors you used too :) Great job and thanks for giving us the directions Id love to make on of these for a friend of mine. I hope Ill have time too. Enjoy yours :) TFS! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is incredible! She's gonna love it, at least she'd better! Had to laugh at your squirrel story. I'm afraid you're right our USA squirrels are no better behaved than your UK ones. Not to mention that the Florida squirrels are so scrawny it's not funny! They can eat year round, you'd think they'd be big and fat, but no they're skinny.
    R/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous advent calendar. Perfect, she would love it. Me too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh en, what a fantastical idea hun!! alwx will love it, its gorgeous!!! and romfl at the scampy squirrels!! sorry about the car costing pennies though, grrrr!! hugs Lou xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a wonderful gift......she is going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh wowwww Enfys,This is so wonderful.

    Hugs Riet.x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there Enfys, this is such an adorable advent calender, I'm sure Alex is going to love it! Miss hearing from you my friend, don't be such a stranger.

    Hugz, xx

    ~L~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, such a great idea, this calendar is really fantastic.
    Hugs
    Melodie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Enfys, that is too cute!! Must be loads of work making that though!! It looks great!
    Frea

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Enfys, WOW what a brilliant calendar, lucky Daughter. Love everything about it, you are such an inspiration.
    Shame about the squirrels, they're so sweet. Sorry to hear about the cost of repairs to car though, expensive, Oh dear:{

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooooooh enfys your calendar is simply stunning, just stunning x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh En what a fabulous Advent calender, such a wonderful idea your daughter will absolutely love it!
    Oh those darn squirrels costing you all that money that could be spent on crafty supplies!
    Hugs
    Juliexx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this project so much! Beautiful colors and all the details!
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh wow this is gorgeous En, love it, would love one of those myself lol

    lotsalove

    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Enfys, this is totally fab. What a throroughly modern, funky, grown up advent calendar. I wish I had a crafty mum to make me one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love, love, love this advent, this would be perfect for my 21 year old shopaholic daughter too lol. Those little bags are so cute although I think I might struggle to fill them all, you did really well.
    Those pesky squirrels are a real pain aren't they, I cannot believe they chew the electrics just imagine you started the engine mid chomp ooh it doesn't bare thinking about.
    Kim xXx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow what a brilliant Advent calendar and what work you have put into it. Its beautiful. I bet she loves it. Loved your squirrel story. Hugs x ChrisB

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this pretty, modern advent
    calendar. I wish I had a crafty
    mom like you! Great work Enfys!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness. That is adorable! Love all the details and the glitter!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so fabulous! You put a lot of time into that & hopefully she appreciates it.

    And your squirrel story made me laugh picturing you with a catapult!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is one stunning creation and perfect for your daughter by the sounds of it. I would give a squeal if I received it lol. Flip me, would you ever have dreamt those squirrels would hid in the car! Definitely put that catapult on your Christmas list lol.
    Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fantastic project Enfys - those little bags are superb as pockets - your daughter will adore it! Cheers Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love everything about this. And how fun for your daughter. I bet she loves this!
    JeanH

    ReplyDelete
  25. Loved the tale about the squirrels. It reminded me of my friend Kathy who was told she had "varmits" in her car. Living in FL is endlessly entertaining to those of us who are not from "around here"
    The advent calendar is beautiful. I think I may need to make a pink princess one - thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So clever and so gorgeous. I can see it hanging on my wall as I type! thanks for the how-to. I'm going to try and make a couple for a my purse-addicted friends! Thanks for always being so willing to share! hugs eileen

    ReplyDelete
  27. What an adorable gift. I love it and the small gifts inside are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great idea this nwould be so much fun to recieve.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Enfys, what a lovely advent calendar, definately a scraplift for me. Good luck with your squirrels... you crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  30. so much work!! and what a wonderful result...i love those small handbags, and i am sure it took you quite some time to fill them up!!!!
    love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh how cute - absolutely adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. wow that's a amzaing project sweetie, you did a great job
    hugs angelique

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love your advent calendar. Extremely cute and clever! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love that calendar. You are such a thoughtful Mom. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  35. Too cute! What a great birthday idea. TFS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh my word!!!!! This is so fantastic En!!! She's going to love it! Who wouldn't!!!
    hugs, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh dear if something is going to happen to someone poor you Enfys its you, now its squirrels, pain in the bum, you can have them at home. At least they arnt alligators so maybe your are lucky its just them.
    Love your advent calendar envelopes, its unusual but no doubt just as useful for popping chocolates in. With love and hugs Shirleyxx

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is such a clever idea -- and Alex will love it! Charming and positively adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a cute advent wreath. I'm sure your daughter will love it! Very girly!
    Poor squirrels! I sit and watch them in the little park like spot accross the street from our apartment. It's up and down all day!
    Take care, Jess

    ReplyDelete
  40. How clever and beautiful. Your daughter must be so proud of you.
    My fat squirrels pull antics like yours do. I love them anyway.
    Warmly,
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  41. If that isn't the cutest!! Been there....done that with the squirrels! They hid their little treasures in my air vents.....HA,,,thought the car was exploding when I turned on the fan!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Enfys
    wow this is stunning what a fabulous idea, she will luv it, sue,x

    ReplyDelete
  43. This is the cutest advent calendar ever! I love it! I'm sure Alex is going to just love it, and all the little goodies in the purses too. I will need to keep this in mind for my daughter, but what to do for my son? I'll have to think on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  44. That is the cutest calendar! I love it! I think I am going to have to do something like this for my DD. You're the best Enfys.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I saw this on your blog yesterday when I was visiting - this is just the cutest and has so many applications! Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful ideas with us!
    Blessings, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh my!!! That is the cutest advent calendar ever! What a wonderful gift. She will love this.

    ReplyDelete
  47. This is amazing and she will love it! How cute for a single college girl. Amazing that each purse is different. LOVE IT. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  48. Wow...super cute...you've outdone yourself after getting over the 2 weeks of videos for promarkers...I don't know that I'd have enough time...but I'd like to make one for my four grandchildren, but I think instead of purses (since there are 2 boys & two girls) maybe just pouches decorate with Santa's, reindeers, the manger, baby Jesus & such!! Thanks for the great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. That is so cute. The little purses look so dainty. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  50. This is certainly a labor of love!! A very lucky granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Love your advent calendar it is beautiful, still smiling about the markers :)

    ReplyDelete
  52. How gorgeous the little ones will love them TFI:) x

    ReplyDelete
  53. That is so special your daughter will adore it! The idea for using purses was sheer genius, I love how they are all different. Sorry to hear those US squirrels are treating you so badly. ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  54. Oh, I just love this! Alex is going to have to protect it from people wanting to steal it. So cute. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  55. The advent calendar has arrived, it's amazing - I do love it!!
    Alex x

    ReplyDelete
  56. Wonderful calendar, so much work and great that you could find small things to put in every handbag! =)
    Hugs, Elenor

    ReplyDelete
  57. Awesome advent calendar!! You are just so creative!!! Thre squirrel's
    here are just alful!! They think everything is for their feasting pleasure!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  58. WOW that its amazing! know what i will try next year! I think it beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  59. This is soooo cute! I love the way that you embellished it. How fun for a girl!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, thank you for taking the time
Enfys x