Home Tutorials About Me Video's Cards for Sale

Monday 20 June 2016

Flowers for Hospital

These days, at least here in the UK, flowers aren't welcome in hospitals, so I decided to make these.

The stems are coffee stirrers painted green, then I punched a bunch of flowers (Bloom Fiskars squeeze punch) and stuck one to the front and back of each stem. The 'vase' is a plastic milk shake bottle filled with shredded tissue paper


I reckon this would brighten the day of anyone in hospital, and would only take up the space of a card on their bedside locker

When I was doing my nurse training, back in the dark ages, flowers took up a huge amount of time, and the lowliest junior nurse had to tend to them. Every evening, dozens of vases were removed from the ward into the sluice, where they lived overnight, after having the vases washed and dried until they sparkled, and clean water poured in. Then the vases were carried back the next day. What a palaver! I can see clearly why they aren't welcome these days

10 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea Enfys....I know that flowers in hospitals are no longer allowed and for good reason, but they did used to brighten up people's long days as patients didn't they xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very petty! They still allow them over here. But I think the families tend to them. Probly why small potted plants are seen at bedsides. Yours is a much better idea. Thanks En

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very petty! They still allow them over here. But I think the families tend to them. Probly why small potted plants are seen at bedsides. Yours is a much better idea. Thanks En

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever idea! I always think it's such a shame that we can't take flowers to someone who is poorly in hospital as everyone loves to receive them. I'm sure your idea would be just as welcome though. Pat x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a unique idea. I must try this when visiting anyone in hospital. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. a great idea and super sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable! This would work wonderfully for those who have allergies too!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, thank you for taking the time
Enfys x