Home Tutorials About Me Video's Cards for Sale

Saturday 21 May 2016

A paddling of ducklings


We have had a couple of ducks nesting in a tree in the garden - who knew ducks nested in trees? I didn't! So yesterday, there was a big commotion up there, lots of rustling and quacks, and all of a sudden it started raining ducklings. Out of the tree they tumbled. Mama duck had obviously decided that this was the day her brood needed to get out into the world. So they picked themselves up with a little fluff of baby feathers, and set off behind Mama

The first obstacle was these steps - under construction. Mama hopped up, the babies gathered in a chirping little huddle at the base of the steps.....




Mama quacked encouragement, but there was no way those little things were going to climb those steps, so we carefully lifted them up, one by one....



 and off they set again.......



I opened the gate at the top of the garden which leads down a steep bank to the canal. Mama got very excited at the sight of the water, and flew down the bank, leaving her chirping brood at the top. They took a few tentative steps, then all rolled and tumbled all the way down to the water - it was hilarious to watch, like a load of little kids rolling down a grassy bank


Papa duck was swimming around waiting for his family to arrive. He started quacking quite loudly - I think he was saying 'for heaven's sake  get those kids under control'


Eventually, they all hopped into the water, and off they set - the babies took to swimming like, well, ducks to water!


It was such a special little episode, I had to share it. I just hope they remember how we helped them, and come back to nest with us next year

25 comments:

  1. absolutely adorable and I'm sure they'll be back at Chez Cashmore next year xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My ... what a sweet adventure to watch. I'm also sure they will return Enfys. Your lovely new garden will be irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job you were there to assist mama and her babies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew ducks nested in trees either. What a fun thing to see.It would make a great scrapbook page :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how lovely, Enfys! And to be able to capture it all too! I, like you and many others, didn't know that ducks nested in trees, but I suppose they are birds after all?! Here's hoping they come back next year to raise their brood. Thanks for sharing, hugs, Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's a large shopping center thaw was built in a large area that had taken up some marshy spots. Some one watched ducks trying to cross the street to the water on the other side. They stopped traffic for them. Now there's a sign "DUCK CROSSING" and traffic stops for them. I would have thought the people would have needed a traffic light before they'd st I was pleasantly surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome sight! and to be part of it how wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fab you were there at the right time Enfys to see this and lend a helping hand !! Isin't nature a wonderful thing....

    hugs Diane xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely Enfys, so glad you got to see it. Thank you for sharing. X

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely story and a super experience for you. Hope the little ducklings thrive under the watchful eye of mum (and you!!) Pat x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful! I too did not know that they nested in trees!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing event to be a part of, and you having the sense to take photos meant we can be too. What would have happened if you hadn't lifted the ducklings I wonder ?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed reading. Your experience brought back sweet memories of my childhood with chickens & ducks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, how delightful :-) You are very lucky to live somewhere that this can happen . Thank you very much for showing us :-D xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww that's so sweet! I had no idea ducks nested in trees either, isn't mother nature amazing?! Thank you, I just loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awww how gorgeous and I had no idea they nested in trees. ..thanks for sharing this lovely post xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a special blessing!!! I love nature, and it's little creatures... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the pictures ! Your stories are always highlights to my day! Thank you for sharing !!
    Anna N.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always tell my kids that you're never to old to learn something new, and it's the truth. I had no idea that ducks nested in trees! But then I only found out a couple of years ago, that chickens do too! :-) What a lovely way to spend part of your day! Thanks for sharing Enfys :-)
    Hugs,
    Lena

    ReplyDelete
  20. How adorable - what super photos.
    Toni xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Totally fabulous! I didn't know that ducks would nest in trees either, wise Mama if foxes are about!

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's amazing. I never knew they nested in trees either.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, thank you for taking the time
Enfys x