Home Tutorials About Me Video's Cards for Sale

Wednesday 11 June 2014

DIY Birthday.....

Here's a pop up card I made with elements from the Work and Play CD by Polkadoodles. The base card was ready cut and folded by Craftwork Cards, and I cut out all the printed elements on the Scan N Cut, so it took no time at all to make....



I added glossy accents to all the tools, and a few metal brads as well. I reckon any handyman would love to get this for his birthday....



So I've been pondering recently about photography. I love the way some people photograph their cards, but after messing about quite unsuccessfully with some photo editing software, I decided that life was really too short to faff around with all that stuff just to photograph a card or two, so I moved on to my next idea. A light box! Yes, a lightbulb moment, I thought about spraying the inside of a cardboard box white, but as I am so messy, decided the clean-up would be too painful, so I Googled a bit, surfed around Amazon a bit, and ordered a little white cube called the photo box. 

It arrived in this little round bag......



and when I unzipped it, out sprang this monster, yes, honestly,  it just jumped out of the bag, unfolded itself and sat there............waiting



You can see the size of it in comparison to the pile of books on the floor (no, I don't normally keep books on the floor, they are waiting to go to the Charity shop). Now the cube was advertised as being easily transportable, ideal for photography on the go...........WHAT? I unwrapped it unleashed it in the kitchen and could barely get it up the stairs to take this photo - it's not heavy, but I was knocking pictures off the wall as I struggled with it. Try as I might, I can't get it to fold up again into a neat little circle, to go into the neat little bag...... I suppose I could get a cat since I have a ready made cat house taking up half a room. It's a pity it's not a tiny bit bigger, we could have gone camping for the weekend....

Watch this space! See you tomorrow x 

20 comments:

  1. LOL Enfys, You should have been a writer. I love to read your post most everyday. ( Even though I don't comment every time).
    Very cute card. Great for Father's Day. Or a Man's birthday.
    My Sweetie would have love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing about your light box. I laughed and laughed, not at you, but at your story. The same type of thing usually happens to me, so I can really relate to the visual of trying to get that sucker up the stairs. You made my day - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how cute!! What a fabulous project and fun story :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable card. Love this design and the theme is so darn cute.
    That photo box thing looks like just what I need. I'm pretty good at folding those kinds of things up. Guess it's all the practice I had with tubes and such when my kids were little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. no need for Costa Fortune Coffee hotels on our next trip away...I'm sure you and I could fit into that ready made accommodation hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Enfys! You have me in a total state of giggles. I have a very vivid image of you "unleashing" your new monster light box ... and even more laughter as I picture your attempts to "tame the beast" with your efforts to flatten and fold it back into it's original shipping bag. Perhaps this image is so vivid for me because I have a similar small cicular disk in a zipped pouch that magically springs open into a rather large laundry hamper when it is "unleashed". I recall my own struggles with it. Now that I have the hang of it, it's easy to use (most of the time) ... I can laugh now, but it was quite the daunting, and frustrating, challenge in the beginning.

    Love, love, love this pop-up box card. How very creative. I know it's a Birthday card ... but with Father's Day (in the US) being next Sunday, I can't help but think that it would be ideal for that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the card Enfys.

    Oh you did make me giggle about your light box. These things have a mind of their own and packing normally requires at least two sets of hands. Hope you actually get some use out of it.

    Toni xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cute card & a lovely photo box. Love the way you relate your experiences. Very amusing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great story Enfys - you could always get gigs as a stand-up comedienne and use the monster for stage lighting! Love the card - made with one of the images on the CD that I received from you today. Great backing papers to go with all the lovely images - thank you Enfys. Pat x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maryellen WebberWednesday, June 11, 2014

    I love the manly pop up card, great job! Your collapsible light box is huge, hope you get some use out of it.

    Thanks for the laugh,
    Maryellen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Enfys, thanks for the laugh. I have a couple of jumper dryers that look innocent enough when secured but do have a life of their own if anyone is brave enough to undo the velco. They too spring into action and fill the room. I am sure you will discover the way to get it back in it's little bag. Looking forward to hearing what you think of this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. By 'this' I of course meant the photocube, not my unruly jumper dryers LOL. Love the box card as well. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. The card is so cute, but your story is hilarious! I could just see it exploding from it's little bag. I hope that it works for your photos, since it is taking up so much of your room. BethAnn M.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, En, funny stuff. I do love your tales of life. Cute little card. I should try to make one like it for my son, who is a finish carpenter.
    He would love that. Thanks for both your creation ans your story. Hugs Jess

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it!
    I too have one of those light boxes, they are really simple to fold away once you get the knack. Just push two corners to meet so it looks kind of like a book, then twist opposite corners one towards you and one backwards. I'm sure YouTube has lots of videos if you need it. But good luck! My bag bulges, straining at the zip where the cube is just dying to pop out at some unsuspecting moment....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha,ha, your card is FAB! As for your story of the pop up monster, ha, ha, sooooo very funny!
    There should be a 'how-to-fold-pop-up-monster' included, ha, ha.
    if not, try the internet! According to a lot of this kind of pop up stuff, you have to twist it in a way, ( form a sort of 8 ).
    first try to find the side of the monster which has the same seize of the little bag where it's supposed to fit in and than try and find to make the 8 and fold it up.
    Can't wait to hear the rest of the story as it'll surely continue! :-)
    Bye and have a wonderful day!

    Marjolein

    ps. I soooo much enjoy your cards AND stories! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love reading your posts ! They always bring a smile to my face. It is a great card ! Thanks for 'brightening' my day with the story !!
    Anna N.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely pop-up card, and pop-up light box. And, well, enjoy your camping! :0) Made me laugh.
    Hugs
    Annette
    xx

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, thank you for taking the time
Enfys x