Home Tutorials About Me Video's Cards for Sale

Wednesday 26 January 2011

My new toy

Here it is, my new Letraset airbrush system to use with ProMarkers, and I love it. I am still on a learning curve and just playing around, but when I get back from CHA I will do a video tutorial on using it - when I know enough to tell you about it that is! It works with my aqua markers as well. I am really looking forward to having a proper play with this the first lesson learned - don't put your fingers in the way of the airbrush. Ditto avoid your jeans if you can. Cover your worksurface with paper unless you want an interesting modern art effect on your desk........

When it came, I grabbed an already coloured stamped image and sprayed around the edges with sky blue. It was only when I did a bit of research that I found out I should have cut a mask to shield the image, but quite honestly I liked the effect it gave and it didn't seem to affect the coloured image at all




as you can see.......................... Isn't that a lovely soft sky effect?



I used metal tiny alphabet brads for the sentiment. The stitching is faux - I find threading my teensy Janome machine in the UK such a faff, I just run the cardstock through it with no thread, then join up the lines with pen, in this case Signo white rollerball




Then I die cut my gorgeous butterfly, it comes in two layers, and I just messed around with colours really, using Promarker pens to start, then airbrushed around the edges in a darker colour. The bottom layer was totally airbrushed. I then sprayed the whole thing with Crafters Companion sparkle glitter glue. I am sure I can refine this a lot as I get used to the technique of airbrushing, but this butterfly hasn't been put into the reject bin, and will make it onto a card eventually, it looks really pretty






I got a bargain as well. I ran up to Hobbycraft to get some new blades for my fiskars trimmer (I totally forgot that I have to take a basic craft kit with me to CHA). I found a big roll of masking film in the clearance bin. (This is stuff that you stamp on, cut out the mask, peel away the backing paper and it is slightly tacky to stick to your stamped image, the masks can be used over and over)
So there was no price or wrapping on the roll, which looked undamaged. 'How much is this?' I asked a chap who was busy filling shelves. 'I dunno, what would you pay for it?' he asked
'well it looks worth about 50p to me' I joked. 'Okay' said the guy, who turned out to be the manager. I then went upstairs and found the same stuff with the wrapping on, selling for £23. RESULT! I also got an 8 x 8 K & Co scrapbook album reduced from £22 to £1.99. There was a huge assortment of American Crafts brads as well for £1.49 a pack. So if any of you are near Hobbycraft, run over quickly, they have some great stuff at bargain prices. For those of you not in the UK, Hobbycraft is the only big-box craft store in the UK, they never have coupons, so we deserve a sale!
I will schedule a post for tomorrow, think of me as you read it, sitting for 14 hours in an aluminium tube at 35,000 feet. I will be bringing you snippets of news with lots of photos from CHA, so watch this space







18 comments:

  1. Great butterfly. How funny that I was asking you recently if you had tried the airbrush - fete or what?
    I will look forward to your opinion and videos on this. Might be a few more pounds missing from the purse and another medium for Amber.

    ReplyDelete
  2. perfect card!!! love it!!!!
    good luck on your new toy!! hope to see more of your wonderful creations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enfys wow what a toy, I am loving the effects you have achieved already. I am liking that manager, what a bargain, those who dare win eh lol. Safe travelling:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I see you are having fun with your new toy! And awesome bargains from Hobbycraft, I can't believe it. I may have to make a bit of a trip this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Enfys hope you thoroughly enjoy your trip to the CHA, it does sound fun. Gorgeous card to. With love and hugs Shirleyxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun, new toy ... oops, I meant to say tool! Can't wait to you do with this!!

    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great card and butterfly I would love to try an airbrush but from what I've heard it's not good to try a cheap one and can't quite afford a nice one yet. Looking forward to see what you create with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your butterfly and your card is really pretty. Funny how we learn things after we've done it one way. I don't look at them as mistakes but learning curves. LOL Thanks for sharing and looking forward to hearing all about CHA.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love your airbrush system, looks very effective! congrats on your bargains and have fun at CHA, can't wait to see the pics! hugs Debx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want...I need...I desire and to think its only a can of air - just fab - lovely card! Cheers Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the card! I think you did a fabulous job on the sky!
    What great bargains! I got one the other day like that. I go to the Goodwill store now and then to see what crafty supplies they have. Joann's donates things that don't sell to them, so they do have some goodies! I found some Sizzix 12" dies that were Christmas ones, but they didn't have a price. I asked one gal and she said to ask at the register, so that's what I did. The girl at the register had no idea what they were and told me $.50 each, so I got them both. Should have gone back and gotten the other duplicates and given them as gifts. Oh I do love a good bargain!
    Will be thinking of you, flying over my home along the way. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi hun
    oh luv what you have done with your new toy, cor that was a bargin with the maskin tape, i dont often go to hobby craft, have a safe trip n super time, sue,xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely card and can't wait to hear your review of CHA

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Enfys x ooooohhhhh (drool) airbrush system, I am really looking forward to further posts about this x The butterfly is absolutely gorgeous and I too love the effect on the card x Safe journey x Leigh x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Enfys x ooooohhhhh (drool) airbrush system, I am really looking forward to further posts about this x The butterfly is absolutely gorgeous and I too love the effect on the card x Safe journey x Leigh x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Enfys sweetie I shall have to ask that you refrain from showing me "new toy" stuff for the next 3 years. I am trying to get my daughter put through college!! LOL Love the effect it gives!

    ReplyDelete
  17. gorgeous!!! I've seen air-brush painting done ...its so beautiful it is awesome.....I know you are going to do some very big and eye popping work..can hardly wait to see you have a go at it....have fun at CHA

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow. You are lucky with the bargains there. I went to Hobbycraft twice, but there weren't many good reductions and no paper stacks at all. I'm coming to live where you do.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, thank you for taking the time
Enfys x